I read an article last week touting Pittsburgh as the next great place to live. What would earn St. Louis that status?
Despite all my griping about St. Louis I know it is a great place to live. What are the key positive attributes?
1. A lot to do. Great cultural, sports, and dining opportunities. We are more in a league with Chicago rather than Omaha when it comes to cultural activities.
2. Affordable housing. The median housing price is much less than in most big cities. Young couple could get more for their dollar and save hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of a lifetime.
3. Easy to get around- This speaks for itself. You will not need to commute for hours to get to work or school.
4. Top institutions of higher education
2. Racial intolerance- Businesses want an open and accepting work and cultural climate for their employees. St. Louis has a long way to go to achieve this goal.
3. A proliferation of small governments-Our system of governance is too expensive, inefficient, and fosters exclusion.
4. Climate-The weather is horrible in the summer and still cold in the winter. Spring and fall are great.
Almost everyone who visits St. Louis likes it. We should develop a program to bring recent college graduates or college senior to town for a weekend to sell them on settling here. We have a lot to offer, and most of the country is unaware of us. Written by Paul Dribin