How Will Self Driving Cars Affect our Future
Self driving cars are on their way. They may be here in a few years or 20 years, but they will be here. They will have a dramatic effect on the world and on communities such as St. Louis. Here are some thoughts:
1. Public transport systems will suffer, go bankrupt, or go out of existence. Why should people ride buses or trains when they can dial up a car and go door to door in minutes?
2. Further investment in metrolink is absurd.
3. A good strategy would be for transport companies to develop their own ride sharing programs.
4. Roads should be less crowded.
5. There will be far fewer traffic injuries and deaths. Police can be freed up to fight crime.
6. There could be a real problem of equity for poor people. If someone has bad credit or a criminal background will they be allowed to order a car? If not, will poor people once again have trouble getting to work? Right now taxis and Uber are reluctant to go to the inner city. Will the same policy exist for self driving cars?
Written by Paul Dribin