Vacancies in St. Louis
Good news! The City of St. Louis is mobilizing efforts to deal with the vacancy situation in St. Louis which encompass 7000 vacant properties. I have worked with issue when I worked with the city and HUD. Several factors in addition to economic instability contribute to the vacancy problem. These issues I am familiar with are:
1. The aldermanic system. Many aldermen do not want vacant properties razed because of some perverted idea that it will take constituents away from their communities
2. A reluctance to demolish anything.
3. A policy by the city of letting vacant properties sit because they think there will be a demand for these properties at some time in the future.
4. Historic preservationists also do not want buildings razed. I remember when I worked at HUD being chewed out by a historic preservationists because we razed a building that was severely fire damaged.
5. The aldermanic system in St. Louis.
6. A lack of funding to deal with environmental and lead based paint issues.
I wish the people working on this project well. Written by Paul Dribin